Referee Abroad offers match officials of all ages and experiences a unique experience to referee abroad with international groups of officials, all while developing on a personal and professional level.
Imagine the chance of refereeing a team from Brazil against another from Italy, or Australia against Ivory Coast, with fellow referees from across the world while based for the week in Barcelona, Paris or Lisbon? And all this while developing as a match official: thanks to Referee Abroad’s unique network of Match Observers, our Experience tournaments in the Development category offer all referees the chance to be
observed by a worldwide panel of Observers, ensuring growth as an official.
Referees who have attended Referee Abroad’s tournaments have frequently been amazed at how much they have learned, from managing matches at far greater difficulty levels to picking up new methods from other officials.
Referee Abroad has given me the opportunity to travel overseas to discover and learn new cultures while doing the things you love with the support and guidance of some of the most experience observers.
“Referee Abroad and their tournaments have helped me become a better referee and let me experience serious competitions on the inside”.
Some famous faces such as Mark Clattenburg, David Coote and many other FIFA/UEFA officials (see the full list) have all volunteered their time at our tournaments, alongside more than 10 County FA groups who participate with their coaches every year in order to further progress their officials.
All games are with 3 or 4 officials, and at selected tournaments we also offer communication headsets for referee teams to use in order to get the “FIFA” experience. And tournament finals are held at prestigious locations / stadiums in their home city, with the majority also live on local TV, meaning the top referees from across the week will see their names up in lights!
While the development side is important, there is also a fantastic, friendly atmosphere where lifelong friends are made – all while enjoying it in a fabulous city across Europe or even beyond!
What is the Experience?
As a non-for-profit organization, the Referee Abroad Experience has been designed to ensure any referee can take part thanks to its modest cost, offering a package which includes:
– Referee Abroad Membership
– Accommodation for the entire tournament in Residence-style lodging
– Full board across the week
– Local transport to and from games
– Goodies including a Referee Abroad coin, a Referee Abroad badge for your ref tops, and an exclusive Referee Abroad t-shirt
– Observers from across Europe and beyond present in the Development category
– Games with assistants and fourth officials, and possibility of using communication headsets
– Finals in stadiums / possibility of appearing on live TV
– Awards ceremony for finalists and top / most promising officials over the tournament
– A fantastic week of refereeing, friends, and fun!
Flights to/from the experience location are not included.
Applications are now open! Full details can be found on the dedicated tournament page.